The biggest dilemma every student faces after class 10th is selecting the right stream. Every stream has its own pros and cons that make it more difficult to select the right one. Here are few tips you should consider:
- The first step is to understand all the advantages and disadvantages of all the options available after 10th.
- Examine your stronger subjects which interests you and look for the same in your stream
- The next thing you need to know is about the career scope of each of the stream you are considering. Not all courses are available for all streams.
- Never follow others. Don’t select a stream because your friend or cousin is choosing that stream. Instead of this, look which stream match your skills
- It is good to get take advice from teachers and parents but don’t choose a stream under their pressure. It should be completely your decision.
Which are the 3 main streams after 10th?
Once you complete your 10th STD, Science, Commerce and Arts are the three main courses available for you. It should be your decision to choose any one. Science and Commerce are a mix of theoretical and technical disciplines, whereas Arts can be characterized as more of a theoretical as well as a creatively inclined career stream. We will study about these subjects individually:
Science is a vast field that studies living and non-living organisms, our surroundings and the universe as a whole. Further, it is also one of the most commonly chosen streams after 10th std. At the foundation level, the science stream subjects are divided categories mentioned below:
- Computer science (optional)
This stream is filled with rewarding and high-paying jobs such as Company Secretary (CS), Chartered Accountant (CA), Financial Advisor, Investment Banker etc. Commerce is ideal for those who are good at managing people and things and problem-solving abilities, people who are good with teamwork.
Here is the list of major subjects taught under Commerce stream:
- Business Communication
- Informatics Practices
- Business Studies
- Information Technology
Choosing Arts as career stream, you can explore a wide range of job opportunities in creative as well as academic careers. Arts being an extensive stream, it comprises a lot of options. Major subjects are mentioned below:
- Political Science
- Physical Education
- Fine Arts
After clearing class, 10th STD students have an option to continue schooling or opt for training courses. Some of the courses come under vocational courses. List of vocational courses is mentioned below:
- Library Assistant
- Secretarial Roles
Polytechnic and Diploma Courses
Now let us explore some of the few polytechnic courses:
- Diploma in Mechanical Engineering
- Diploma in Automobile Engineering
- Diploma in Electrical Engineering
- Diploma in Aerospace Engineering
- Diploma in Biotechnology Engineering
- Diploma in Computer Engineering
- Diploma in Civil Engineering
- Diploma in Electronics & Communication Engineering
Few diploma courses will help students get admission in the second year of a related bachelor’s degree.