India loves Engineers! This undeniable love and faith in engineering is something that is seen across the country. Saying that “My son is an Engineer” or “I’m a so-so Engineer” comes with a sense of pride. But it is not something that is followed as a trend. Affv major part of it comes from the fact that Engineers are important to the country. Right from Telecommunications to Defense to Food, engineering plays a big role in keeping the country alive.
In India, aspiring Engineers look up to JEE Main & Advanced Examinations. It is the entrance exam which qualifies students for admission in IITs. It is an intense and highly competitive exam. In 2019 alone, 9,41,000 students participated in the exams. In 2020, 2.90 lakh women wrote JEE Mains which was conducted in January. Additionally, the Union Minister for Human Resource Development recently announced that the center plans to increase 50% across all Institutions of eminence in India. JEE Advanced 2020 also saw a 17 to 20% increase in Female seats for admission in IIT.
However, Engineering equally had its dose of tribulations as well.
Before we discuss all of that, why is India so obsessed with engineering in the first place?
- India is an active exporter of engineered goods to markets of the US and Europe.
- The year 2018 saw a spike of $76.20 Billion export compared to $65.23 million in 2017.
- India saw an increase with CAGR 7% in the export of machinery and other electrical equipment from the year 2010 to 2018 and has steadily increased since then.
What does all of that have to say about the increasing number of IIT and JEE students?
The future of education and infrastructure across the globe is changing too
- Education is changing. Today, online education platforms are taking over traditional educational systems. As students can avail of online lectures, important hurdles such as inaccessibility, long travel distance, and tuition fees will decrease. It will also foster a healthy schedule for students to pick up and learn new skills in different skill development platform. It is also giving students massive exposure to online technology.
- Sustainable development is under dialogue across nations today. The increase in climate change demands sustainable technologies that will require newer engineering marvels in itself – which again brings in the scope of mechanical and equipment engineering.