Fiber optics can also be spelled as fiber optics is the science of transmitting data, voice and images by the passage of light through thin and transparent fibers. Fiber optics is a long fiber which is usually made of plastic or glass. It consists of two parts, an inner glass fiber core, and an outer cladding. Each of them has different refractive index to bed the incoming light. Copper wire has been replaced by fiber optic in the field of telecommunication. Fiber optics is used in long-distance telephone lines, and it is used to link computers within local area networks. Optical fibers have the diameter of about a strand of human hair and when bundled into a fiber-optic cable, they’re capable of transmitting more data along longer distances and even faster than other mediums. Fiber-optic internet, phone and TV services are the technology provided to homes and businesses. Fiber optic wire contains a few to hundreds of optical fibers within a plastic case. They transfer data signals in the form of light and travel hundreds of miles faster than those used in traditional electrical cables. Since fiber-optic cables are non-metallic, they are not affected by weather that can reduce speed of transmission.
What is fiber optic network?
There are several types of fiber optics but it is connected to a network hub allowing it to curb near your home or straight to your home to provide a fiber-optic internet connection. The fastest type of fiber network is Fiber to the Home or Fiber to the Premises because it’s a 100% fiber optic connection with optical fiber cables installed to terminals directly connected to houses, apartment buildings and businesses.
Types of fiber optics
Optical fibers can be used in multiple fields. Some of them are mentioned below
- Telecommunication field
- In space application
- Broadband application
- Computer applications industrial applications
- Mining application
- In medical applications
- Military application
Application of optical fiber in communication
- Optical fiber is mostly used in communication
- It is used in Wi-Fi router, landline phone and server connector
- A single optical fiber can carry over 3,000,000 full duplex voice calls or 90,000 TV channels.
Application of fiber optics in medicine
- Fiber optics has been used in medical field for years. The physical characteristics of fiber make it natural choice for many different applications
- Fiber optics provide a very compact, flexible conduit for light or data delivery in equipment, surgical and instrumental application
Advantages of optical fibers
Disadvantages of fiber optic cable